CINEMA SOLORIENS-FILM PROGRAMS BY JAMES HARRAR

I have been working with the moving image since 1989, which is a small spark in the tradition of cinema. I am happy and fortunate to share a relationship with this special discipline. My films are often meditations on beauty, perception, allegory, sensuality and visual phenomenon. I strive to reacquaint the viewer with the moment of becoming aware of witnessing something - perhaps capture the essence of visual thought that is empty of fixed meaning.

Friday, December 21, 2007





THE CINEMA SOLORIENS & THE COSMO-DRAMA performance at Victoria Hall

After a warm introduction from Alex-sensitively mentioning that perhaps Sun Ra is watching the performance unfold.

Before the lights dim and my films engage-i tell ed that i want him to start out fast, right out of the gate, sorta rhythmic space-chord-opportunity to clear my mind and to honestly clear out audience members that don't really want to be there-get 'em out!

Booom! We are off! Rocket No. 9! Zoom, zooom, up in the air, zooom!

Nice turn out, the Hall was filled in very nice.

Some moments i really wasn't pleased with the direction the music was going with the films-always tension, my images with sound, musicians playing to my films. i really dig playing with ed (really love when he plays up on his kit with his feet) and my percussive manner of playing just about every instrument i play (even reeds) makes for some interesting moments-some really nice drum and bali xylophone raga went very nice and dug it very much.

Marshall soloed a very pretty, lyrical flute piece.

His keyboard and EVI work was very interesting for the Hall.

Some of my more outre sax solos really fired me up. I really try to set off like i may never play again, that this is it, give all the lung power i have-indestructible!

in the corner of my eye, I see Marshall's affirmed nods as I develop my sound-language, with him, all the while following each note I blow and shape-more fuel for me.

This other interesting moment, which happened in Aarhus was that we got into another space-funk jam that is really not in the plans but just unfolded though Bob's driving guitar chords, Ed picking up rhythms and all just falls in line. great time-all goes by fast and lasts forever.

real warm round of cheers and applause from the Leeds crowd.

i take the mic for q and a from the audience. The Leeds crowd was very sensitive to the imagery-members noticing even specific books in my library featured in Biblioteca Sol Oriens, name dropping Adam McLean and finding the visual language of Alchemy fascinating. I enjoyed talking with the crowd, usually my favorite part aside from the music-may like it even more because it is such a direct moment to connect-i feel the comfort as the planet gets smaller and our collective sensibilities are revealed honestly and with sincerity-so rare now.


2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Alice Fox said...

Dear James,

It was I that mentioned Adam McLean et al - nice library you have there... and nice films! You may be interested in my blog that skirts around quite a lot of Hermetic and musical topics: http://ricercares.livejournal.com/
I also make music which stems from a mix of Hermeticism, psychogeography and folklore... there are some old recordings and sound-samples of newer stuff at www.larkfall.co.uk - wonder if you'd be interested in collaborating on some project in the future?

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger iames said...

hello rombald,

its james
check in with me via my email
lets talk about some possible collaboration.
soloriens@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home