CINEMA SOLORIENS-FILM PROGRAMS BY JAMES HARRAR

I have been working with the moving image since 1989, which is a small spark in the tradition of cinema. I am happy and fortunate to share a relationship with this special discipline. My films are often meditations on beauty, perception, allegory, sensuality and visual phenomenon. I strive to reacquaint the viewer with the moment of becoming aware of witnessing something - perhaps capture the essence of visual thought that is empty of fixed meaning.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

















JAPAN TOUR-DAY 11
THE FINAL PROGRAM AT SUPER-DELUXE

We got up early Thursday morning. Deb and I had a wonderful breakfast at the hotel restaurant. We met up with Bob to hit Shibuya for some shopping before the sound check. We were on a tight budget, but we were able to find some affordable fun things for the children. We were also on a search for Cigars. I had already read that good Cigars were hard to come by in Tokyo. After many questions and map drawings and false leads, we were about to give up when we found a very small, ultra modern, super cool little cigar bar. I helped Bob make some selections for his dad. We picked out some great cigars at a very reasonable price. The two young ladies that worked there were very helpful. They admired Deb‘s Native American jewelry, saying they had never seen anything like that before. They spoke limited English. Deb told them their English was very good and asked if they had ever been to America. “No,” the girl replied. “Just New York.”

We took the subway back to the hotel, an hour walk, a 10 minute ride. We made it just in time to go back out and walk to the club, Super Deluxe in Roppongi. Deb stayed in the hotel and relaxed.

Sound check went well, without a hitch. Mike’s staff, as usual is very organized and helpful. The highlight was finding out that my films were going to be projected simultaneously on three screens. It was also great to hear a Master Shakuhachi player doing his sound check, while my films were still running. I looked forward to hearing his full set.

Back to the hotel, quick shower and cool threads for our final show.
We took a cab to Super Deluxe, no more walking, especially with Deb’s killer high heels. Much of the audience was already assembled. The mood was set with candles flickering in the dark corners. The audience was a mix of young hipsters and older arty hipsters with young girlfriends, and everyone else in between. The first opening act was a duo of stand up base and a crazed madman on an electric guitar. Their sound was an interesting blend of improv and space rock/jazz with much energy and complexity.


The Master Shakuhachi player came on next. He was amazing. He not only played exquisitely, but gave a lesson on the different rudimentary styles that are played on his instrument. It became very clear to me that he uses breath, not sound as a medium for self expression. I could really visualize the air all around him as he manipulated it, shaping it through this bamboo tube. He appeared in traditional attire and sat on an elevated platform while playing. I could listen to him for hours.

After his set it occurred to me why I felt out of it. I thought it was nerves, which was weird since I hadn’t been nervous for any of the other shows. But I now realized that I was sad because we were at the end. This was the last show of the tour and there are a lot of people that I’m going to miss. Realizing that fact now becomes a source of motivation to give my performance everything I have.

9:00 hits and I am briefly introduced to the cultural liaison of the American Embassy. He gave a small introduction to the audience expressing appreciation and saying that with the sponsorship of our film/music performance, this would usher in a higher standard of cultural programming being brought into Japan. With that he started the show, “And now, Cinema Soloriens and the Cosmo Drama, I love that name by the way!”

We opened to the Green Lion as usual. Marshall chooses his little toy Casiotone keyboard to start things off for him. It is so hard to start out with that. The 3 of us initially occupy our own little spaces, but after about 10 minutes we fall right into sync largely due to the fact that Marshall starts listening to what Bob is playing. And since I often listen to Bob’s rhythmic structure, it’s easy for me to accompany him making it all gel together.

During the show, I managed to slice my finger open while playing drums. Little droplets of blood soaked into the drum head, which I now proudly display. Strangely, Marshall also cut his finger open while playing.

While playing a very rapid drum beat on the tuned log drum, to the film “The Thompson-Neeley House,” the mallet head came off. A sustained rapid beat was required for this piece and it can’t be done with just one mallet. I kept the beat with one hand, and grabbed one of Marshall’s mallets that was an arms reach away. As soon as the first strike of the new mallet hit the drum head I quickly realized his mallet head was not made of rubber, like mine, it was made of hard wood, which created a whole new beat structure. But hey, it worked.

The rest of performance went great. The films were very well received by the audience, many times applauding after each films ending, or yelling out “Yeah!” when the films and music worked together to bring them to a certain place in their minds. After the films ended we continued to play with dark intensity that left the crowd speechless, and wanting more. Their applause went on for quite a time. Ater the gig, Marshall says to me, "Jamie, you were blowin' boy, really blowin'!", I never thought I would hear that from him, but during this trip Marshall has told me a great many things.

It seemed after the program no one wanted to leave. After the performance so many came up to me to thank me for bringing my films. Because of the language barrier, some didn’t know what to say, so they just grabbed me and hugged me. It was very touching. I was moved and appreciated their gestures a great deal.

After the set, we had another interview. This time with a TV program called “Space Shower TV.” When the interviewer asked about the title of the program and what it meant, Marshall quickly responded about the Cosmos and Nothingness and 12 bar measurements, the square, and outside the square, and the Cosmos and then something else about the Cosmos. Then he made grandiose gestures in the air indicating time and space and squares. He was like Yoda on a 6 pack. I was interpreting the interviewers questions to Marshall and Marshall’s responses to the interviewer, all, unfortunately, on TV. The camera caught me rolling my eyes at one point. The only lucid moment occurred when Bob responded to the question which he answered carefully and thoughtfully. This would be the last time Bob, or myself would ever speak during this interview as Marshall continued to wax on about the cosmos and more about the cosmos. I would love to get a copy of that interview. I know it’s beautiful. It was time to lighten up, it’s the end of the tour.

We finished packing up our gear. Bob took a taxi with a load of equipment back to the hotel, while Mike and staff prepare food for Marshall, Deb and I. It was the hungriest we had been since we got to Japan. We had fish and chips, curried rice, fried fish balls (so good), and much beer. The curried rice was by far the best thing I had ever had. I know it was Yoshi’s recipe. We were very happy he made it to tonight’s show. All of us kept hugging each other not wanting to leave. We met Yoshi’s girlfriend. A lovely woman, who he hopes to marry this year. It was difficult to say goodbye. It was our last night in Japan. We were sad.

Back at the hotel, Deb is finishing the packing while I work on the blog. It was a wonderful day. I have a great sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. I am thankful to all those that made this tour a reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home