CINEMA SOLORIENS-FILM PROGRAMS BY JAMES HARRAR

I have been working with the moving image since 1989, which is a small spark in the tradition of cinema. I am happy and fortunate to share a relationship with this special discipline. My films are often meditations on beauty, perception, allegory, sensuality and visual phenomenon. I strive to reacquaint the viewer with the moment of becoming aware of witnessing something - perhaps capture the essence of visual thought that is empty of fixed meaning.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006












JAPAN TOUR DAY #8 and 9 Continued-THE RETURN OF DEBORAH and more great times.

After absorbing the beauty of Kyoto, it was time to trek off to Osaka Airport to pick-up my wife, Deborah. I have been looking forward to finallly catch up with her. Is there gonna be a challenge finding her?

She flew into Narita, Tokyo with a 6 hour lay over! What kind of condition is she gonna be in? Then she takes the puddle jump to Osaka.

I took the train in with Kei. A-million thanks to him. I would have been screwed attempting this one solo. Which train is local, which is express, how do i even select which ticket, how do i work this machine... The more local the train station, the less English signage it seems.

After several beers we were off. I think Kei was looking forward to meeting Deb too, wondering what could James' wife be like. Very hip guy, and i dig him very much. After our many beers, I told him about the expression "all hopped up!" We were on our way, boy.

More beer, conversation and now some food at the Osaka Airport while waiting for Deb.

Me, I am constantly watching the exit terminal to see her, finally, there she is and I take off running. Cue romance movie soundtrack, but, yeah, life is great, and so very happy to be holding her. A very long distance to travel just to meet up on the other side of the world.

Another dream realized.

So happy, but no pics, no digital camera with us, just some old school film (we post those later). Kei was excited to meet her. Great to meet new people anywhere.

We went out for a great meal, pretty much an all-you-can-eat fried food fest, and more beer, then a great small Jazz bar, meeting up with Yoshi and Mike. Good times with much Charlie Parker in the background. The bar, called, "The Jazz Bar", sat about 10 people at the most, smelled of ancient cedarwood, and was packed with vinyl albums of the best jazz behind the bartender. He was an older fellah, that loved his music. He spoke little English but expressed to me that young people today have no appreciation for jazz and the fact that we are here wanting to listen to Charlie Parker, his favorite, brings him much happiness, as he shook my hand many times. I hope I see him again upon my next visit. I had alot to drink that night, including some Japanese spirit a bit more potent and similar to sake. Close to seeing double after that drink. We stumble back to our Machiya, getting lost along the way and finally off to sleep arm and arm with my Deb.

Off to a magical bed in quiet Kyoto.

Wed. morn. we both got up VERY well rested. Enjoyed the dreamy morn contemplating the splendor and quiet beauty of the garden with Marshall. I shot an hour of digital footage meditating on the whole thing-ending with a bee drinking some water out of a ceramic bowl and flying off. There is no way you can shoot a bad composition here.

That eve. we went out for some victuals with Marshall, Deb and Kei. As you can clearly see, Marshall is really decked out for our night on the town in the lastest hip fashion from Neptune, and we dig it very much-that hat, shit, no one hipper than Marshall, NO ONE! Great time and much laughing. Our bill was settled up on an abacus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home